Events and Activities
Upcoming Events & Current Activities
Read the Book
Borrow, download or purchase a copy of the selected book to read and enjoy. If you need help downloading the book, just let us know - we are happy to help. Please call us at 905-875-2665 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get in touch with you.
An Evening with Yann Martel
Share an evening with one of Canada’s bestselling authors, recognized for his
award-winning novels, including Life of Pi. Yann Martel will share excerpts from his
novel, The High Mountains of Portugal, and answer audience questions about
the book. The Host for the evening is Michael Serapio, CBC News Network.
Discounted copies of The High Mountains of Portugal ($20) and Life of Pi ($20) will be available for sale beginning September 1st at the Main Library, as well as at the event. Yann Martel will autograph copies of the book in this year's grand finale event.
View the video from An Evening with Yann Martel.
FirstOntario Arts Centre Milton
7:00 - 9:00 p.m.
Buy Tickets Now
Taste of Portugal
Stop by EddieO’s PourHouse and Kitchen and receive a FREE dessert by showing your
Milton Public Library card, with the purchase of either an appetizer or two items from the tapas menu.
EddieO’s PourHouse & Kitchen
370 Main Street East
Amateur Photography Contest: “The High Mountains of Milton”
The remarkable beauty of nature features prominently in
Yann Martel’s The High Mountains of Portugal. One Book, One Milton invites you to grab your camera and
capture Milton’s natural beauty. Winning photographs will be submitted in the Milton Canadian Champion and profiled in MPL’s online gallery.
- Marcel Painchaud, Hilton Falls- Hanging On
- Younghoon Park, Crawford Lake Evening
- Faiq Farooq, Mushroom Fractals
Submit your photograph(s) online from May 12th - August 31st, 2017.
First place winner receives two tickets to An Evening with Yann Martel.
- Digital images must be submitted online and must have a minimum resolution of 1536 x 1024.
- Each person is limited to 5 entries.
- The subject of the photograph must fall within the theme: “The High Mountains of Milton: Grab your camera and capture Milton's natural beauty."
- Photographs must be taken in Milton or surrounding Halton Region.
- People may be present in the photograph with their permission.
- The contest is open to amateurs only. A professional is defined as one whose primary source of income (50% or more) results from his / her photographic work.
- By entering this contest, the photographer agrees to have his / her entry displayed in the Milton Public Library, as well as on the Milton Public Library website and / or One Book, One Milton website and its social media feeds, this year and in future years. The photographer also agrees to have his / her winning entry published in the Milton Canadian Champion.
- The photograph must be a single work of original material taken by the contest entrant. By entering the contest, the entrant represents, acknowledges and warrants that the submitted photograph is an original work created solely by the entrant and that no other party has any right, title, claim or interest in the photograph.
- The contest is closed to the staff of Milton Public Library but is open to their family members, as well as all members of the Milton Public Library Board, library volunteers and their family and friends.
- Any entries that do not comply with the rules as described will be disqualified. Judges’ decisions are final.
- Entries must be received no later than August 31, 2017.
Entry deadline: August 31, 2017
Agatha Christie Murder Mystery
Calling all amateur sleuths! Join us for an evening of murder, mystery, and mayhem, and help us to solve this Agatha Christie style whodunit.
1010 Main Street East
7:00 - 8:00 p.m.
Woodland Trail Hike
Meet other readers at Crawford Lake Conservation
Area for a hike along the Woodland Trail, led by a Conservation Halton guide.
Crawford Lake Conservation Area
3115 Conservation Road
5:30 - 7:00 p.m.
Please bring water and wear appropriate footwear.
The Sights and Sounds of Portugal
Portugal's culture, food, beaches, and 3,000 hours of sunshine a year make it a perfect holiday destination. Join local travel agent Banerji Gloridason of Marlin Travel to learn more about this tourist paradise.
1010 Main Street East
7:00 - 8:00 p.m.
Adult audience encouraged
Forensically Speaking: Fact vs. Myth
What’s a typical day in the life of a coroner? Is what we
see on TV accurate? Dr. Cuberovic is an investigative coroner, Medical Director at the Milton Emergency
Department, and an Ontario Race Physician for NASCAR. Join Dr. Cuberovic as he debunks myths and shares
details of fascinating cases.
7:00 - 8:30 p.m.
Adult Audience Encouraged
Twelve puzzle pieces were hidden throughout Milton. Assembled these twelve pieces reveal the 2017 One Book, One Milton selection. Those returning a puzzle piece to the Library have won a copy of the 2017 title and were also entered into the grand prize draw for a one in twelve chance to win two tickets to An Evening with the Author on September 14th.
A clue a day was revealed beginning April 1st until they were all found! These clues were posted on our Facebook and Twitter streams and below at noon each day.
Puzzle Clue Recap
Below is a recap of the clues revealed so far and the status of pieces. For the most up-to-date information on the hunt please refer to our Twitter or Facebook streams.
Status: Found at the Main Library
- Visit Milton’s “Main” bookish hotspot to find a puzzle piece.
- Try looking for a puzzle piece in the place where items are “recently returned”.
Status: Found at the Hawthorne Cafe
- Visit a favourite lunch spot in Hawthorne Village. Artists and kids welcome.
- Make your way to a Hawthorne Village Café and look for some green space.
Status: Found at the Centre for Skills and Development
- Find a puzzle piece at the place where “skills” are “developed” on Derry Road.
- Try looking for a puzzle piece where the receptionist prints.
Status: Found at Coffee Culture
- Soak up some coffee culture while you hunt for your next puzzle piece.
- Cozy up to the fire as you look down Commercial Street for this piece.
Status: Found at the Velodrome
- Find a puzzle piece where things go round and round on the fastest Siberian spruce.
- Take a walk around the track between sections #111 and #112 to find this puzzle piece.
Status: Found at Starbucks
- Take a drive thru your favourite morning rush to find a puzzle piece before “checking” in at Main
- Order your fav iced half-caf non-fat with whip and grab a snack too!
Status: Found at the Milton Sports Centre
- Calling all athletes! Search of a puzzle piece at the place where you can do everything from gymnastics to swimming.
- Keep your eyes to the sky for this piece, as you walk down the hall to take a splash.
Status: Found at the Beaty Branch Library.
- Beaty trail is full of “branches.” You’ll find a piece in just the right place if you think outside the box.
- Find a puzzle piece in the place where things are held.
Status: Found at the Milton Centre for the Arts
- Try searching for a puzzle piece in a place where the arts flourish.
- Lobby here and lobby there. Find your puzzle piece somewhere!
Status: Found at Kelso Conservation Area
- “Welcome” to nature. Introduce yourself at a Halton Park between J and L.
- Make your way around the visitor’s centre. You may find the puzzle piece you’re looking for.
Status: Found at the Milton Leisure Centre
- Spend some “leisure” time at this indoor facility while you search for a puzzle piece.
- Try picking up some information on a class or activity to find a puzzle piece.
Status: Found at Town Hall
- Find a puzzle piece in the place where Gord hangs out.
- Take a look in reception and see if you can’t locate a puzzle piece there.